It often happens that the garden is small, and the owners want a bountiful harvest. Or Tomatoes are grown for sale and need maximum return from each bush.. What to do to increase yields? This review describes in detail the correct method of growing tomatoes using the Maslov method.
The essence of growing tomatoes according to the method of Maslov
In 1985, Homestead Magazine published an article, Roots Looking for Ground. Its author, an amateur gardener from I.M. Maslov described in detail his method of obtaining a large crop of tomatoes by stimulating root formation.Even in the conditions of Siberia, tomato bushes planted according to the method of I. Maslov give consistently high yields in open ground and in greenhouses
It was based on the fact that in natural conditions the tomato bush spreads on the groundso it is easier for him to develop the roots and hold fruits ripening in large quantities. And breeders to save planting space tend to display tall varieties with large fruits. As a result, the plant lives at the expense of a poorly developed shallow root, and the crop breaks its branches.
Maslov's rationalization proposal has found a great response and has been safely used so far as an effective one.
Seedlings were planted in deep holes and watered only once, during planting. After that, they would only pile up and cover with mulch. The plant under the influence of aggressive wind and the sun spread along the ground and well developed roots in search of moisture. The harvest was always plentiful, the tomatoes were medium-sized, sweet and thick-skinned.
Maslov proposed two new ways of planting, in which the plant can grow the root system in proportion to the ripening of fruits.
The first way to increase yield
Horizontal planting will seem easy even to a person with minimal experience in plant growing:Growing tomatoes according to the Maslov method, it is necessary to lay the seedlings in the grooves so that the root system is directed to the south and the tops of the bush to the north
- Tomato seedlings upright plant in an unheated greenhouseto get an elongated strong trunk;
- then her transferred to open groundwhere they lay in a furrow lying so that not only the root but also the first pair of stems are covered with earth (the leaves must be removed from it);
- the location of the seedling should be strictly root south - this is done so that the plant can easily rise towards the sunlight;
- the more part of the seedling is covered with earth, the greater is the area for rooting.
At the same time, this technique solves the problem of thin stretched out seedlings that are difficult to plant vertically. Thus laid, weak bushes quickly gain strength and rise. You can plant together two saplings at once.
By the way, Maslov paid attention to the fact that tomatoes love transplant. He recommended diving them twice at the house-growing stage, each time deepening and increasing the distance between the seedlings to strengthen the root.
The second way how to plant
Refusal to stick tomatoes in favor of root formation:
- the lower pair of stems must not be removed, and let her grow up;
- when the main bush gives the first fruits, remove the leaves from the stepson and, bending down to the ground, fasten (you can simply pin it with a wire hook) and sprinkle it on top of the ground;
- not to create strong shading in the center of the bush, shoots need to bend as far as possible from the trunk;
- stepchildren very quickly go to growth, the first fruits on them will appear a couple of weeks later than on the main trunk.
However, they will not oppress each other - the tomato will remain a single plant with a common root system. The method is called - growing in three stalks.
Please note that these two techniques do not exclude each other. You can plant a bush horizontally, and later root the stepchildren.
Advantages and disadvantages of planting a tomato by this method
The Maslov technique is suitable for cultivating both stunted (determinant) and tall varieties. After the horizontal planting tomatoes do not require a special approach, You can take care of them as usual.
The technology allows the use of less planting material. It is advantageous to grow in this way expensive varieties that are sold only a few seeds in a bag.The method allows to do with a minimum of seedlings
With the indisputable benefit of landing in three stems, you need to pay attention to some points:
- fruits of undersized tomatoes with such a planting are close to the ground, they may rot; in order to avoid this, the easiest way is to make fresh grass, which at the same time retains moisture in the soil;
- special attention should be paid to watering - make sure that there is enough water, but the earth does not remain wet all the time. It is best to establish drip irrigation or irrigate in an aryk way.
- also undersized tomatoes decrease in size fruits by increasing their number.
- some gardeners believe that This technique does not solve the problem of space: with an increase in yield from one bush, the volume of tomatoes taken from the site as a whole does not change. But they have a lot of opponents, so it makes sense to get acquainted with the experience of other gardeners.
Indeterminate - tall tomatoes, which give a harvest throughout the growing season - to grow in three stalks is particularly beneficial. These varieties are usually grown in the greenhouse. They grow up to two meters, so they need additional support. After deepening of the first pair of stepsons, the rest will also begin to form the ovary. It will be possible to refuse the tedious pasynkovka altogether, and to harvest the phenomenal.Growing tomatoes in Maslov excludes pasynkovanie plants
The bush bearing fruit in three stalks will make the operation of the greenhouse more efficient, because the fruits are formed and mature at the entire height of the plant.
The most suitable varieties of tomatoes
Tall tomatoes of greenhouse cultivation, early and middle ripening periods - planted according to the described method, they will give a high yield. If the greenhouse is heated, then it can be successfully harvested from late varieties of tomatoes for a long time. For cultivation according to the Maslov method, the following varieties are perfect:
Russian giantTomato grade Russian giant
A variety of medium term ripening. There are varieties of varieties with yellow and red fruits. The fruits are very large, suitable for long-term storage. The variety is resistant to diseases, has a powerful trunk.
Ukrainian giantTomato variety Ukrainian giant
A variety of medium ripening. The fruits are pale red, fleshy, large, well subjected to preservation.
A variety of medium ripening with a strong stem, very fruitful. Tomatoes are fleshy, flat-rounded, slightly ribbed, bright red in color. Are also good in preservation and for the fresh use.
The fruits of all these varieties weighing 600-650 grams. To grow them large, except for the garter of the bush, you can still take care of the hamlets for fruits - mesh bags, which will keep the tomato on weight while it is poured and ripens.
Judging about the effectiveness of the cultivation technology according to Maslov is best based on your experience with your favorite varieties. Because to achieve results is not enough to get acquainted with the theory, one must also be able to observe the plants and draw conclusions.