Many gardeners prefer juicy and sweet variety of watermelon Spark. Suitable for cultivation in the southern and middle regions of the country. To get a rich harvest you need to follow a number of important rules. What kind? Let's talk in this article. And we will begin with the description of melon.
Description and characteristics of watermelon light
Annual of the pumpkin family. A wisp is an early maturing variety that tolerates average weather conditions well.
The ripening period takes about 75-87 days. Resistant to many diseases. Its shape resembles a round ball, it reaches a mass of 2.5 kg. The average weight of one fruit is 1.5-2 kg. The fruit has a rich, scarlet flesh with a small amount of seeds.Watermelon light in the garden close-up
The rind of the berry is rather thin, dark green. The lack of a thin peel is that when transporting a watermelon can crack and is easily deformed. Maybe this is not the best option for business, but the variety is ideal for growing in small quantities at the dacha. Thanks to the sweet, juicy, grainy taste, it will be an excellent delicacy for the summer-autumn table.
Breeding history and region of growth
In the 13-14 century, watermelon came to us from African countries. In Russia, Spark is still very popular in the summer time. According to the breeders, the domestic variety belongs to a mixture of Asian hybrids and sugar varieties. Bred in the Soviet Institute of Vegetable, near Kharkov.
Berry successfully caught on in Russia. It is grown in the southern regions, middle regions and even in the Urals. True to the north Spark grows in greenhouse conditions.
The advantages and disadvantages of the variety
To grow a culture, you need to properly prepare the site for planting. It is good to plant a watermelon on soils where cereals and legumes have previously grown. Landing should begin in late May - early June.
The advantages of the variety Spark are many: from taste to adaptability to any weather conditions. But only one drawback - watermelons are not subject to long-term storage. and they need to be eaten within a few weeks after harvest.Ripe watermelon light on the garden
In the open ground, seeds are sown in the second half of April. But it is advisable to plant a watermelon in a seedling way. Seeds for seedlings need to be prepared in early April:
- You can buy seeds at any specialty store or ask someone who has managed to grow a good harvest of watermelon Spark;
- when preparing the seeds, make sure that they are not empty. To do this, drop seeds into a glass of water. If a part of the seeds has risen to the surface, it means that they are empty and can be safely thrown out;
- For better germination, it is recommended to boil over boiled water;
- To germinate seeds, it is recommended to wrap in a damp cloth. When the sprouts make their way, plant them in pots;
- for two seeds one pot of small diameter. The best soil for seedlings: humus, peat, sawdust, sod land;
- Before germination, the pot should be covered with cling film. After the appearance of sprouts, put closer to the window in a sunny place.
Seedlings are planted in late spring - early summer. Landing rules:
- Saplings should be located at a distance of 0.7 m. Between rows 0.9-1 m. Width. Planted in a checkerboard pattern.
- The variety prefers light soils that allow water to flow well and heat up quickly. The street should be supported t + 15 + 18C.
- Seedlings are placed in the ground at a depth of 10 cm so that only two leaves remain on the surface.
- To warm the soil, the garden is covered with a film before the formation of the first shoots.
By properly feeding, you can significantly increase the yield. 2 weeks after planting the seedlings, you can enter the first portion of the fertilizer: a solution of cow dung 0.5 l to mix with 10 liters of warm water. Under each bush pours 1 liter of fertilizer.
The second feeding is made even after 2 weeks: mix the superphosphate 40g, potassium chloride 30g, ammonium nitrate 10g, dissolve everything in 10 liters of warm water. When the bushes appear flowers and ovaries, you need to remove weak buds and leave 3-4 strong flowers.
Fertilizing the crop every 2 weeks can be made infusion of freshly mown nettle. You need to fill the leaves with water and let it brew for several days. Water the holes near the bushes.
Peculiarities of this varietyWatermelons light on the summer cottage, ready to harvest
- Berry will grow better after beans, cereals, cabbage.
- If there is too much nitrogen in the soil, the fruit will grow small.
- Fruits during ripening and growth should be periodically shifted. It is advisable to put a foil under the watermelon so that one side does not rot.
- If the garden is an anthill next to the watermelon, then it is necessary to get rid of it. Otherwise, the crop will be spoiled.
- In the cellar you can save the light during the month.
Diseases and pests
Major fetal diseases:
- Mealy dew. Can be detected by white or yellow bloom on the leaves. Fruits become inedible and begin to rot, may slow down or not grow at all;
- Angular spotting. Leaves dry, holes appear, fruits disappear;
- Rot. It affects the roots, leads to the death of the plant and the fetus.
The following remedies will help to get rid of the disease:
- paste the area (potassium permanganate, water and crushed chalk);
- process areas with chlorine copper solution;
- 65% Fentiuram solution;
- 0.1% Fundazol.
To eat the fruits of watermelon varieties Spark, you need to learn how to grow seedlings and care for the crop after planting in open ground. Then the harvest promises to be rich, and the fruits are sweet and sugar.